Wednesday 27 August 2014

A fight to remember

I must admit I'm not the biggest boxing fan. No, that statement is incorrect - I'm not a fan at all. When I come to think of it, the images that pop out in my head when I hear the word "boxing", are all about muscular male with broken noses, and splashes of blood. I may be wrong, but I don't want to have an argument. I want to share with you one fight to remember.
Or at least it should have been one. (sigh)
When me and my partner made the decision to travel to Hamburg and watch the World Championship in Boxing - Heavyweight I wasn't thrilled. Not that I don't love to travel. On the contrary. Just boxing is not my scene. But one person changed my mind - Kubrat Pulev.


He had put all effort into the ultimate goal - a fight against Wladimir Klitschko. And I respect that. I can relate to the man who tirelessly pursues his dreams. Not to mention he's Bulgarian, just like me.
Despite my boxing indifference, I got excited, and couldn't wait to get on the plane to Hamburg. I even ordered personalized t-shirts and packed the Bulgarian flag. My travel check list was all done: plane tickets, hotel, train, event tickets. All checked.
And all of a sudden my excitement crumbled down. Because on Monday 25th of August KMG postponed the game to the unknown future. The official reason: Injury of the World Champion Wladimir Klitschko.
My thoughts: He's chicken! I am not sure why I don't believe he has a torn biceps, but I don't. I can only hope that the maneuver would not harm Pulev's preparation for the fight, which now have been scheduled for 15th of November.
Now the downfall: I will miss the fight. I wasn't able to cancel the hotel and the flights, so we are going to Hamburg as planned in September. And now I feel sad because I won't be able to support a great Bulgarian as Kubrat Pulev.
I hope he wins. I hope he knocks the air out of Klitschko. I hope he reigns the boxing world. I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment